Tuesday, April 14, 2009

No, I did not fall off the face of the earth. Progress on the doublet!

I am in so much trouble right now. But look! I'm updating! Huazzah!
It was just a mixture of crazy times, and losing
first my laptop charger and losing my camera cable, then being busy planning my move. I also haven't been sewing nearly as much. But that is neither here nor there!

I had some issues with the piping, so I pretty much scrapped th
e idea. It was a little too big so I couldn't catch it under the zipper foot without it pushing out, so when I would turn the fabric I had the canvas attached to the upholstery cord showing, and it looked terribly. I'm a little bummed out about it but there is nothing to do. I will just have to trim the shit out of it. I considered self piping, but I don't fee' that I am up to the challenge for this doublet, as it has already been the bane of my existence.



At least I had the mind to machine sew all of the trim on, front and back. Though it was kind of a pain, I got stabbed a lot, therefore getting angry a lot.


I had a little trouble with the collar, as well. Collars and I really don't get alone, it seems. I can't get it right, my doublet collar and now this one =/. So now I have to wear it open at all times because its just too big; tall ways and every ways, unfortunately. It isn't a big deal, honestly as I can just make a facing for it. I will be much cooler but I wont really have the nice doublet look. I also have to whip stitch the lining down as it sticks out of the front. Or make a small facing all the way down. Sleeves come first, though as the facing will be the green fabric.



I also decided to mix it up a little with the back and not do the exact same amount of lines. It gives it a nifty little asymmetrical look that I am strangely fond of. I'm going to put a line of trim around the bottom to separate the tabs and probably to hide the length of bias tape that the tabs will be sewn onto. [Cheater].

That is another thing, I seriously ran out of fabric for tabs. I'm going to have to do small tabs, i.e. short tabs around the waist, and make some sort of tab treatment out of the trim which means buying more but it was seriously a dollar a yard. Win. I ended up sticking with a sleeve style that is very italian in style;


Im familiar enough with this sleeve style to make them quickly and well they aren't what I would call difficult. Just a couple of tubes. I used them when I refurbished my first gown, and decided since I have to retire that gown, I might as well add them to this gown. I'm thinking of trimming them out very nicely to take away from the fact that they are so...dull.
[No I did not make that dress, I googled it.]




The thing about when I made these, however, is the fact that I was seriously scrapping for fabric, and had to had a seam down the sides. It isn't very clean looking, but it is what it is. Also, they are very tight around the shoulder, so they have to be a bit off the shoulder with chemise poking through. I suppose it could be worse!

The other day I was with my room mate at the fabric store hunting for fabric for this hat I'm making him...that is frustrating me to no end but that is neither here nor there...and found this two and some-odd yard remnant sitting next to the register;



I think its a jacquard but I could be wrong. Feels like it, anyway. The picture isn't a very good one as the light is off but the fabric is this beautiful pale yellow gold shot with a blueish green design down the outside of the strips. I'm smitten, and part of me wants to make another renn bodice, doublet or maybe a square neck as I had to retire my square neck. Maybe a middle class doublet? Upper middle class? I don't even know if it is ren period, thoughts?

Stay tuned for the poloniase!



M.W.


No comments:

Post a Comment